Dubai wants to establish itself as the world leader in providing a smart economy and smart living opportunities for everyone. Smart cities use a variety of tech in order to examine data that is sent from sensors over Wi-Fi networks to enhance people’s daily lives. Smart Dubai was an idea of Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE (and Emir of Dubai), Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid. The idea was to focus the city’s efforts towards its most valued asset - its people.
With Dubai’s Smart City vision “To make Dubai the happiest city on earth”, we take a look at 10 interesting facts about the city.
1. The Dubai eGovernment was launched in 1999.
2. For every 1 AED that is spent by the Smart Dubai Government (SDG), 5.4 AED is saved by the Government with over 4.3 billion AED being saved in total from 2003 to 2015.
3. After spending 384 million AED, over 1.2 billion AED has been saved on Government Planning Services between 2003 and 2015.
4. The infrastructure MGMT Department saved 1.1 billion AED and spent 212 million AED between 2003 and 2015.
5. Dubai is home to 4 million residents from 180 countries. It welcomes five times its population in visitors each year (20 million in 2013) and it wants to be able to cater to over 50 million visitors by 2020.
6. Dubai’s Smart City’s stakeholders include:
7. The city’s growth (by turning into a vital world trading hub during the 80’s and 90’s) has helped to build one of the fastest growing economies on the globe.
8. The Dubai Government saved (on average) 358 million AED between 2003 and 2015. This works out at over 29 million AED in savings per month between 2003 and 2015.
9. Dubai’s Smart City is partnered with the following companies:
10. Smart homes, offices and connected neighbourhoods are rapidly turning into the norm in Dubai, primarily due to the fact that a lot of the city’s ever-expanding infrastructure and development is a fantastic opportunity for smart city connectiveness.
Source: Business Review Middle East
Expotrade Middle East FZ-LLC
1002, Al Thuraya Tower 2, Dubai Media City
PO Box 500686 Dubai, U.A.E.
Tel: +9714-4542135 Fax: +9714-4542136